Two decades of supporting and encouraging families has taught me that I am not a perfect dad! – Richard Shorter
Having three lively and energetic children has taught me I’m not a perfect dad!
But I do have a background steeped in delivering high quality and successful support to organisations and parents enabling them to work effectively together for the best outcomes of the children.
I am not perfect as a parent, but I am pretty good at taking the opportunities which sport offers to build character which leads to success on and off the sports field. This is the gift I offer other parents and their children.
Below are some of the things I have been involved with and my qualifications.
But beyond all this, who am I?
Who I am is: an honest, fun and passionate person, with the guts to talk about those part of life others shy away from. I’ve the courage to ask questions that will help people discover solutions to their problems and grow in self-confidence and self-belief.
The sports world is a high-pressure environment, my skills and experience mean I am able to probe the tough issues and challenges parents and coaches face, without being judgemental or pushy.
I am a dog lover who made sure all three of his kids could rap along with Ice Ice Baby once they had mastered the word calibrate!
To be honest, I’m best experienced in person rather than through words on a page, why not arrange a Skype with me?
Delivered parent engagement strategy support, sports parents meetings and coaches CPD on working with parents for:
- Three National Governing Bodies (England Rugby U18 Boys & Girls, England Hockey U16 & U18 Boys and Girls and England Cricket Board)
- A number of the UK’s top professional sports teams in their academy system. (Including Saracens, Essex County Cricket, Newcastle Falcons & Somerset County Cricket.)
- The countries top independent schools, (Including Millfield and Millfield Prep & Trinity Croydon.)
20 years of working with parents which includes:
- Worked as a youth worker for the local authority
- Delivered numerous parenting courses for the local authority
- Provided one-to-one parenting support for multiple statutory agencies
- Lectured at several universities, teaching trainee social work students about effective strategies for working with families
- Worked in various roles for two churches
- Coached and encouraged people from a wide range of backgrounds, faiths and life experiences
- Worked with and spoken at many schools across all ages
- Public speaking in many contexts (from skateparks to funerals and everything in-between.)
- Honours degree in Community and Youth Studies (St Martins, Lancaster)
- Honours degree in Theology (University of Wales)
- Diploma in Life Coaching from A R Training
- Facilitator for ‘Strengthening families, strengthening communities’ parenting program
- Facilitator for ‘Strengthening families’ 10-14 parenting course